P.I.P, or Personal Injury Protection/Medical Payments, insurance coverage is not well known or well publicized. This type of insurance coverage can play a crucial role if you or someone you love is involved in an automobile wreck. The most advantageous element of this coverage is the "no-fault" aspect.
- S.C. Code Ann. § 38-77-144 indicates that PIP coverage is not mandated but if an insurer sells no-fault insurance coverage which provides personal injury protection, medical payment coverage, or economic loss coverage, the coverage shall not be assigned or subrogated and is not subject to a setoff.
- What does all this mean? Insurance is just that- insuring against a potential risk. As I mentioned in my "Full Coverage" article, you get what you pay for.
- PIP is optional insurance coverage and is relatively inexpensive.
- PIP covers you and the other occupants in your car that have your permission to be there.
- If you cause the wreck, you still have coverage.
- If you did not cause the wreck, you still have coverage IN ADDITION to any personal injury claims that may arise.
Tell your insurance agent you want PIP/Medical Payments coverage on your insurance policy-today.
DISCLAIMER: I do not get kickbacks from insurance agents! However, if you have been injured, I can not go after coverage that you never had to begin with!