P.I.P, or Personal Injury Protection/Medical Payments, insurance coverage is not well known or well publicized. This type of insurance coverage can play a crucial role if you or someone you love is involved in an automobile wreck. The most advantageous element of this coverage is the "no-fault" aspect.
- S.C. Code Ann. § 38-77-144 indicates that PIP coverage is not mandated but if an insurer sells no-fault insurance coverage which provides personal injury protection, medical payment coverage, or economic loss coverage, the coverage shall not be assigned or subrogated and is not subject to a setoff.
- What does all this mean? Insurance is just that- insuring against a potential risk. As I mentioned in my "Full Coverage" article, you get what you pay for.
- PIP is optional insurance coverage and is relatively inexpensive.
- PIP covers you and the other occupants in your car that have your permission to be there.
- If you cause the wreck, you still have coverage.
- If you did not cause the wreck, you still have coverage IN ADDITION to any personal injury claims that may arise.
G.I. Joe always helped information sink in when they parted by stating,"Knowing is half the battle!"
Tell your insurance agent you want PIP/Medical Payments coverage on your insurance policy-today.
DISCLAIMER: I do not get kickbacks from insurance agents! However, if you have been injured, I can not go after coverage that you never had to begin with!